Makes 18 cookies
2½ Cups Flour
1t Baking Powder
¾ Cup Butter (softened)
1 Cup Sugar
½t Vanilla Extract
2 Egg Whites
3 Cups Powdered Sugar
½t Almond Extract
Black Food Coloring Paste
1. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
2. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture in three parts. Once dough comes together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F.
4. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter or an overturned cup, cut dough into circles about 3 1/4 inches in diameter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before icing.
6. Place egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer; whisk until frothy. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, until thick but still spreadable.
7. Place 1/3 of icing in a separate bowl. Add black food coloring paste to reserved icing and stir until color is uniform.
8. Decorate cooled cookies by covering with white icing and letting it dry (placing cookies in the refrigerator will speed up this process).
9. Place black icing in a pastry bag or a plastic resealable bag and cut off a tiny bit of the corner to create a very small hole.
10. Use black icing to draw eyes, nostrils and stitched mouth on each cookie.