1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Shortening
1/4 Cup Water
4 Cups Flour (sifted)
1/3 Cup Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter two 9 1/4 by 5 1/4 by 2 3/4 inch loaf pans.
3. Heat milk, shortening, and water until very warm; about 120 degrees. The shortening doesn’t need to melt.
4. Combine 1 1/3 cups of flour and the sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl.
5. Add the warm liquids to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes.
6. Gradually add 2/3 cups of flour and the eggs. Beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
7. Add 2 cups of flour. Mix well. The batter will be thick but not stiff.
8. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm, draft free place (85 degrees) until it doubles in bulk, about 1 1/4 hours.
9. Punch the dough down and divide it between the prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until it has increased in bulk from 1/3 to 1/2.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on racks.