Yield: 12 servings
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Flour
1t Baking Powder
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Line pan with cooking parchment paper, aluminum foil or waxed paper.
3. Spray with pan spray.
4. Beat eggs in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until very thick and lemon colored.
5. Pour eggs into medium bowl.
6. Gradually beat in granulated sugar.
7. Beat in water and vanilla on low speed.
8. Gradually add flour, baking powder and salt, beating just until batter is smooth.
9. Pour into pan, spreading to corners.
10. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
11. Immediately loosen cake from edges of pan and turn upside down onto towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar.
12. Carefully remove paper.
13. Trim off stiff edges of cake if necessary.
14. Cool on wire rack at least 30 minutes
Strawberry Topping and Assembly
2 quarts Fresh Strawberries
1 Sponge Cake (recipe above)
4 Cups Whipped Cream
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 Cup Strawberry Glaze
Strawberries for Garnish
Strawberry Glaze for Garnish
1. Wash and dry strawberries.
2. Remove stems and cut in half lengthwise.
3. Prepare whipped cream by placing whipping cream in mixer on high speed.
4. Whip for 1-2 minutes.
5. Once cream starts to show some body, add powdered sugar and continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks.
6. Cut sponge cake sheet into three layers vertically.
7. Lay first layer of sponge inside 8 x 12 rectangular cake frame.
8. Top with whipped cream and strawberries.
9. Repeat process three times.
10. Remove frame and ice sides with whipped cream.
11. Comb top of cake and garnish with split strawberries and drizzled strawberry glaze.