4- Pears (firm, ripe)
1 Small Lemon (cut into quarters)
1 Small Orange (cut into quarters)
1 Heaping Cup Sugar
2¼ Cups Red Wine
1. Peel the pears, leaving the stalks in place and remove the cores.
2. Stand them upright in a pan that fits comfortably and add the lemon, orange, sugar and wine.
3. Add a little water if the pears are not completely covered in liquid and bring to a simmer.
4. Cook gently for 40 to 45 minutes, until completely tender.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to cool in the liquid for at least two hours or the next day is best to allow the flavors to infuse. To serve, fan out the pears, and arrange on serving plates.