For use in Caramelized Onion Bread
Yields: 1 1/3 cups
4- Red Onions (thinly sliced)
¼ Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
Dash Grenadine Syrup
1. Place the onions and sugar in a heavy-based pan and cook over a gentle heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the onions have softened and the sugar has completely dissolved, stirring regularly.
2. Stir the red wine vinegar and wine into the onion and sugar mixture.
3. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 5 minutes until the marmalade as well thickened and slightly sticky. All the liquid should be just about gone.
4. Add the grenadine and mix well. Then leave to cool completely.
5. If you’re not planning on using the onion marmelade immediately, transfer to a bowl, cover with Saran wrap and chill until needed. It will keep like this for up to 1 week in the fridge.