Serves 4 – 6
14oz Chicken Liver (thinly sliced and cut into strips)
1 Small Onion (finely chopped)
2½T Fresh Chives (chopped)
½ Cup Flour
2½T Olive Oil
1¾ Cup Butter (at room temperature)
7½T Brandy (plus a little extra if necessary)
½ Cup Butter (clarified)
10T Apricot Chutney
8 – 12 slices Caramelized Onion Crostini
1. Heat a large frying pan until searing hot. Place the liver in a bowl with the onion and chives.
2. Sprinkle over the flour and season, then mix until well combined. Add the olive oil and a knob of the butter to the pan and then tip in the liver mixture.
3. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until the liver is well sealed and lightly browned all over.
4. Pour the brandy over the liver mixture and set alight, then use to deglaze the bottom of the pan by scraping off any sediment with a wooden spoon. Transfer to a food processor and add the remaining butter, then process until smooth.
5. Season to taste and add another dash of brandy if you think it needs it.
6. Pour the country pate into a ½ Pint Mason jar, tapping it gently on the work surface to ensure that it settles evenly and to remove any tiny air bubbles. Leave to cool completely and then pour over the clarified butter to seal completely. Close the jar and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight is best to firm up.
7. To serve, spoon the country paté on to serving plates and add a dollop of the apricot chutney and a couple of slices of the crostini.