12- Spring Onions (trimmed)
2½T Olive Oil
4- Oven-Ready Poussins (These are the smallest chickens available to buy. Each one is a perfect portion size.)
6T Butter (at room temperature)
8- Fresh Sage Leaves (plus extra to garnish)
2 Cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
8oz Swiss Chard (thick stalks removed and roughly chopped)
Sea Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Arrange the spring onions in a roasting tin. Season generously and toss in half the olive oil until evenly coated.
2. Loosen the skin around the neck of each poussin and push under a little of the butter until evenly spread over the breast, then push a sage leaf down each side that they are clearly visible.
3. Arrange the poussins on the bed of spring onions and scatter over the garlic. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and season to taste. Roast for 35 minutes until the poussins are completely tender and golden brown. Leave to rest in a warm place for at least 10 minutes.
4. To serve, heat the remaining knob of butter in a pan and quickly sauté the chard for a minute or two until wilted.
5. Season to taste and divide it among warmed serving plates. Add some of the roasted spring onions to each one and sit a poussin on top. Scatter over the sage leaves to garnish.