2 1/4 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Sugar
Butter for Greasing
2 ½ Cups Half & Half
6 Egg Yolks
3/4 Cup Sugar, plus extra for dusting
For the Pastry:
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add in eggs and flour and bring the mixture together.
3. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest.
4. Grease and line a 23cm/9 inch loose bottomed flan ring with sweet pastry.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line the tart case with a layer of parchment paper and fill with rice/lentils/chickpea’s or baking beans (pie weights).
6. Bake the tart in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove the beans and parchment paper and bake for a further 8 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and brush with a beaten egg white then return to the oven for 3 – 4 minutes to create a crisp crust.
For the Filling:
8. Lower the oven temperature to 300°F.
9. Put the cream and baileys into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
10. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a large heatproof bowl until they are light and creamy then pour in the boiled cream. Whisk until combined.
11. Allow to rest for a few minutes until the froth settles, or skim the froth with a slotted spoon.
12. Pour the mixture into the prepared tart case and bake in the oven for 45-50minutes until just about set.
13. Remove from the oven and allow cooling. Store in the fridge until required.
To serve, dust some caster sugar over the tart and use a chef’s blowtorch to lightly glaze the top. Alternatively, place under a hot grill watching carefully, until the top is browned.