Yield: 4 side dish servings
½ Cup Olive Oil (as needed for cooking)
2 Yellow Squash (sliced ¼” thick on angle)
1 Zucchini (sliced ¼” thick on angle)
8oz Fresh Spinach
2 Red Onions (sliced into ¼” thick ring)
1 Beefsteak Tomato (sliced into ¼” thick slices)
4 Portobello Mushrooms (cleaned, with stems removed)
12 Cherry Tomatoes
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated)
1 Cup Tomato Sauce (warmed)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Heat a sauté pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the yellow squash, and sauté on both sides. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
3. Repeat process with a zucchini, spinach, red onions, beefsteak tomato rings, and portobellos until all have been sautéed. Cool and set aside.
4. Place the cherry tomatoes into the pan without oil, topside down, and cook until the tops of the tomatoes have turned dark brown.
5. Begin making the stacks by placing the sautéed portobellos smooth side down onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and then make a layer of yellow squash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then continue making layers of vegetables and cheese, alternating colors, until the stacks are complete. Bake for 10 minutes, or until all cheese is melted and vegetables are warm.
6. When the vegetables are warm, placed each stack in the middle of a plate. Spoon some tomato sauce around the edge of each stack. Arrange three cherry tomatoes around the vegetables.