Yield: 12 servings
10 Slices White Bread
½ Cup Fresh Pineapple (finely chopped)
2T Butter (melted)
2 Cups Whole Milk
6 Eggs (beaten)
½ Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Sugar
4T Coconut Milk
2T Coconut Rum (optional, but encouraged)
Vanilla Rum Sauce
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat boiler. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes, spread on a cookie sheet, and broil until golden brown. Remove from broiler and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
2. Combine toasted bread cubes and chopped pineapple in a large bowl, mixing thoroughly.
3. Spread bread mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Drizzle with melted butter.
4. Warm milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat; do not boil. Whisk in eggs, heavy cream, sugar, coconut milk and rum. Remove from heat.
5. Pour custard over bread mixture. Use a fork to press bread down into the liquid until well soaked. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until pudding springs back in the center when pressed with a fingertip.
6. Cut warm pudding into 12 squares. Drizzle each piece with rum sauce before serving.