Yield: 10 servings
1 Cup plus 1T Butter (softened)
1½ Cups plus 3T Sugar
6 Egg Yolks
¼ Cup plus 1T Sour Cream
2 Egg Whites
1t Vanilla Extract
¼t Cream of Tartar
1½ Cups plus 3T Cake Flour
¼t Baking Powder
½ Cup Raspberries
½ Cup Blueberries
½ Cup Blackberries
½ Cup Strawberries (halved)
½ Cup Sugar
½ Cup Water
2 Cups Heavy Cream
½t Vanilla Extract
1. For Pound Cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed, until mixture is light and fluffy and the sugar has almost dissolved. Add egg yolks a little at a time until the sugar has completely dissolved. Beat in sour cream. Add vanilla and continue mixing until completely blended.
2. In a separate large bowl, whisk egg whites with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and add the cream of tartar. Gradually add sugar. Beat at high speed until the sugar has dissolved into the whipped egg whites. Fold into the butter mixture.
3. Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Gently fold into the butter mixture.
4. Scoop into a 9.5″ x 5″ x 3″ loaf pan (or muffin molds) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes for loaf pans (or 20 minutes for muffin molds), or until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
5. In a medium bowl mix all assorted berries together.
6. For Sugar Syrup: In small pot bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until syrupy consistency is achieved.
7. For Whipped Cream: Beat ingredients together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
8. To Serve: Cut the pound cake into 1/4″ thick slices. (You should get 30 slices, or 10 muffins cut into three slices each.) Layer whipped cream between three slices of cake. Mix warm syrup with the Mixed Berries and scoop it next to layered cake. Top with additional whipped cream.
Cook’s notes: the berry mixture could be flambéed with brandy liqueur before serving.