Yields 10Note: Wonton wrappers may be substituted for the pastry. Leftover mashed potatoes could be used instead of fresh potatoes.
Ingredients for Pastry:
2 Cups Flour
4T Vegetable Oil
3/4 Cup Water
Ingredients for Potato Stuffing
5 Potatoes (red potatoes are recommended)
2T Vegetable Oil
1 Green Chili (de-veined and seeds removed)
1 Cup Green Peas (frozen or fresh work best)
1t Ground Ginger
1t Ground Cumin
1t Curry Paste (if you prefer heat, add hot sauce)
Oil for deep frying
Directions for Pastry:
1. Mix flour and salt in bowl.
2. Add oil and rub until mixture resembles small bread crumbs.
3. Add water and knead for 10 minutes.
4. Rub dough with oil, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
Directions for Potato and Pea Filling:
5. Boil potatoes until tender, cool, peel and dice.
6. Saute peas in oil; add green chili, potatoes and spices.
7. Mix and cook on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
Directions for making Samosa:
8. Divide dough into 10 balls.
9. Roll into flat square shape about 5 inch diameter.
10. Cut in half and fill each side with 1 tablespoon potato and pea mixture.
11. Brush a little water around the edge of the pastry, fold, seam and seal.
Directions for cooking Samosa:
12. Heat about 2 inches of oil for frying over medium to low heat to 350 degrees.
13. Carefully add samosas to oil. Fry slowly, turning the samosas as they brown and are crisp.
14. Drain excess oil and serve with mango chutney.